If your company accepts credit cards for payments, PCI compliance applies to you. Regardless of size or industry, all companies that accept credit cards must adhere to the safeguards mandated by the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard—referred to as the PCI DSS. While most companies are aware of PCI, many are unsure what it means for their businesses. In addition, companies who use a third party for clearing and remittance often incorrectly assume that PCI compliance does not apply to them.
So, what are the risks of noncompliance? Beyond exposing your customers to fraud or identity theft, your business can be held responsible for the credit card company’s losses. In the event of a security breach or lack of PCI compliance, credit card institutions can assess your company higher credit card processing fees and levy fines of up to $500,000—or even bar your company from processing any credit card transactions at all. Keep in mind that this applies to all companies that accept payment by plastic—even if they don’t store any related data.
The PCI DSS is a multifaceted security standard that includes requirements for security management, policies, procedures, network architecture, software design and other critical protective measures. This comprehensive standard is intended to help organizations proactively protect customer account data. It is a group of principles and accompanying requirements, around which the specific elements of the DSS are organized:
Build and Maintain a Secure Network
· Requirement 1: Install and maintain a firewall configuration to protect cardholder data
· Requirement 2: Do not use vendor-supplied defaults for system passwords and other security parameters
Protect Cardholder Data
· Requirement 3: Protect stored cardholder data
· Requirement 4: Encrypt transmission of cardholder data across open, public networks
Maintain a Vulnerability Management Program
· Requirement 5: Use and regularly update anti-virus software
· Requirement 6: Develop and maintain secure systems and applications
Implement Strong Access Control Measures
· Requirement 7: Restrict access to cardholder data by business need-to-know
· Requirement 8: Assign a unique ID to each person with computer access
· Requirement 9: Restrict physical access to cardholder data
Regularly Monitor and Test Networks
· Requirement 10: Track and monitor all access to network resources and cardholder data
· Requirement 11: Regularly test security systems and processes
Maintain an Information Security Policy
· Requirement 12: Maintain a policy that addresses information security
Do You Need a Better Credit Card Solution?
Sage Payment Solutions gives you all the services you need to accept credit cards and electronic payments in one place. With products to make your transactions run smoother and more securely whether you interact with your customers at a physical location, through a website, over the phone or by mail; whether your business is large and well established or small and brand new.
Get a free Savings Analysis to see how Sage Payment Solutions can reduce your costs by an average of $200-400 per month. One BASM client has a projected savings of $1500 per month! Call us today to find out how!