By Ron Ketterling
You may already be using barcodes in some of your processes or simply looking for more information. Either way, seeing all the areas you can implement a barcode system into your processes, will help you find solutions to keeping your operations on track, reduce costs, increase performance and improve accuracy.
Manufacturing operations have been working overtime to adapt to the challenges brought on by COVID-19. Barcodes can eliminate hand written counts and notes. If you’ve been looking for a way to simplify your processes, Business Central barcode scanning is worth looking into.
Inventory Barcodes and Supply Orders
Whether your demand for product increased or your ability to obtain raw materials to produce them decreased, implementing barcodes will automate your ability to identify breaks in the chain. Knowing where the breaks are allows you to fix them sooner.
- Automate supply order process
- Receive inventory into system
- Pick and pull orders to send to customers
Warehouse management and bar-code systems can significantly improve your manufacturing productivity by reducing pick errors and data entry errors. Invest your time, money and energy in planning, testing, training, and equipment to maximize your ROI.
- Pick Raw Materials for production
- Receive finished goods into inventory (track serial numbers and lot numbers)
- Real time visibility of inventory and production status
Microsoft offers a Manufacturing Execution System (MES) to track manufacturing consumption and output.
Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Barcode Options
External WMS Characteristics –
- Have their own database and support systems
- Communicate directly to Business Central’s database (some use web services, others use flat file transfers)
- Use and enhance Business Central’s WMS to provide mobile access for warehouse and manufacturing employees
- Operate within the Business Central database and code set
- Simplify Business Central inventory management
- One system for data consistency and support
|VT100-based handheld technology||Android handheld technology|
|Tightly integrated to Lanham EDI, pick & pack, shipping||Flexible integration to EDI, shipping, enhances BC pick and pack|
|Supports well-disciplined warehouse||Flexible options: start with one area (picks, putaway, etc.) and expand to all|
|Order management||Customize barcode rules for industry specific barcodes|
|Manufacturing execution, time tracking, production materials consumption and output, visual scheduling|
Barcodes – A Small Item with a Big Impact
Warehouse management and a Business Central barcode scanning system can significantly improve your productivity by speeding up your inventory management and reducing pick and data entry errors. Invest your time, money and energy in planning, testing, training, and equipment to maximize your ROI.